May your compassionate actions, as pure as gold, come back to you a thousand fold.
The Meaning of Karuna
- Karuna is a Sanskrit word that is used in Hinduism, Buddhism, and Zen.
- It is translated as any action that is taken to diminish the suffering of others.
- It may literally be translated as “compassionate action.”
- It is a logical extension of the idea of Oneness.
- Karuna must be accompanied by parjna (wisdom) in order to have the right effect.
- As you develop Karuna in yourself, not only are you helping others but you also become more receptive to the Karuna that is being sent by all enlightened beings, thus your own healing is quickened.
- Karuna opens you to work more closely with all enlightened beings, both those who are physically present and those who are present in spirit.